Recycling Around the World: How Does the U.S. Stack Up?October 6, 2016
The Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI) recently released an update on paper and cardboard recycling and the facts are impressive.
Did you know?
- 89% of corrugated containers are recycled.
- 68% of newspapers are recycled.
- Recycling 1 ton of paper saves 3.3 cubic yards of landfill space, and 7000 gallons of water.
- The use of recycled materials saves 68% of the energy used when making paper from virgin materials.
- Last year, the US recycled 315 pounds of paper, from commercial and residential sources, for each person in the country.
- Energy saved using recycled materials versus virgin materials is up to 68%.
- Recycled paper was a $7.5 billion industry in the US in 2013.